Saturday 17 September 2011

Date with a Lawyer - BNI Dance

There is a BNI (Business Networks International) Chapter called Harbourview that meets each Wednesday in the Community Centre attached to the Freedom Fitness PLUS gym.  Actually, the Chapter was something I started in order to help fulfil the gym's mission of helping it's customers physically, socially, emotionally, intellectually, logically, and financially.  But I had little to do with it becomming a reality after the initial meetings.  Thank goodness in the first instance some really good people, who were able to hep us charter shortly after we began, were attracted to the Chapter.

One of the things important to a BNI Chapter is 'dancing'.  This is when one member goes to the place of business of another.  The purpose of the visit is to learn as much as you can about your Chapter Member's business.  That way, you are better able to recommend them.

Here is my diary entry for the dance I had with our Chapter's lawyer, Aaron Nicholls, a guy I would rather have on my side rather than the opposition's any day.

Wayne Roycroft and Aaron Nicholls
Wayne arrived 25 minutes early. Aaron in the street on cellphone.  Aaron accosted a friend in an SLK driving by.
Once he'd seen me we agreed to grab a bite.  Lawyers patrol like a shark.  aaron did steps very well.  Hunched.  Stressed.  We got to table and Aaron threatened to relax.
I wanted a pie.  Guessed there would be no pies served here.  Aaron grabbed a menu each.  I had guessed correctly about the pie.
Asked Aaron how long he’d been in law.  14 years.  I put him just under 40 and he confirmed that he turned 39 near the beginning of 2011.
Waiter offered beer, as if Aaron always had it here.  Aaron ordered a long black instead and we both ordered water.  Said something about not having worked through the weekend like usual.  Later I learned he had crashed for 36 hours.
He ordered a seafood salad.  I ordered the Chicken Tandoori salad.  Aaron’s phone rang.  He disappeared for 38 minutes.  I looked around the room.  It seemed a good place for a lawyer to patrol.  Lots of activity  and beautiful women.  If ever there was a place to find some matrimonial settlement work this had to be one.  Lots of students it seemed.  One tall, slim dark guy acting extremely camp surrounded by ‘girlfriends’ wearing black leather lace up dress shoes without socks.  One girl speaking intently to another tall, slim dark guy who was rolling a cigarette and would soon go outside to smoke it.  When he left the girl would sit next to other girls.  When his cigarette was finished the guy would return to his seat on the couch now populated by a new girl who would replace the first for his attention.  This crowd had pace.  Too much pace for conservative and old fashioned me.
The waitress appeared concerned I had been left all alone.  A waiter appeared with our salads.  I gazed longingly out the window at a Jester’s pie truck outside.
At the end of the 38 minutes after having re-appeared at the top of the stairs and then disappearing down them again, hunched over his phone and in heated conversation with his caller.  He made his way back to the table, sat down, and started eating, his conversation getting more and more heated all the time.  The waitress cam over again to apologize to me for his abandonment.  After another 20 minutes Aaron escaped his caller.
With his phone call concluded Aaron decided to order the beer after all.  I seconded the motion.  I went for that which I came to get.  “Aaron, so what is your perfect referral?”  Aaron responded.
Lawyers in New Zealand are plentiful.  The only way for a lawyer to make it is to develop wholesome relationships with long term clients.  A 2 year old company is a company with a good chance of survival and most likely to recognize the importance of pre-emptive legal preparation.  I want to meet as many of those as I can, develop an understanding of their business, provide them the necessary legal service and advice from the 2 year mark that will keep them profitably out of trouble and able to lunch with me into my old age.  I fully expect, once my portfolio has grown to the required profitable size, that the requirement for me to represent them legally will grow less and less likely because the pre-emptive systems I put in place at the two year mark will avert disaster.  So there will be little for me to do other than to take the clients to lunch and leave any work to my minions”.
Went back to the office.  Met Aaron’s partners in the legal firm, Chris (who gave me some fishing advice) and John.  Aaron showed me some videos of his kids and we agreed to do some Families in the Park stuff together before he dismissed me and I left, elated and excited about spending time with one really cool legal eagle that did not result in a $360.00 invoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment